1 cup raw sugar
3 cups almond meal (300 g)
¾ cup pistachios (110 g)
125 g unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup Greek yoghurt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Extra Greek yoghurt, to serve
1 large lemon
1 cup caster sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
- Grease a 24cm springform pan (base measures 22cm). Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edge.
- Combine sugar, almond meal and ½ cup of the pistachios, chopped, in a large bowl. Add butter. Stir until combined. Transfer half the mixture, about 2¹⁄³ cups, to prepared pan. Using the back of a spoon, press over base.
- Add eggs, yoghurt and nutmeg to remaining mixture. Mix well. Spoon into pan. Chop remaining pistachios and sprinkle over cake.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Leave cake to stand in pan.
- Meanwhile, make syrup. Using a zester, peel long, thin strips of rind from half of one orange. Squeeze ½ cup orange juice from oranges and ¼ cup lemon juice from lemon.
- Place orange strips, juices, sugar and sticks in a medium saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until syrupy.
- Spoon ½ cup hot syrup over warm cake in pan. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Transfer cake to a serving plate. Decorate with broken cinnamon sticks. Serve warm or cold with remaining warm syrup and extra yoghurt.