150 g unsalted butter, chopped
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup golden syrup, plus extra to serve
1 cup mashed banana
440 g canned pineapple chunks in juice, drained
⅓ cup rolled oats
softened butter, to serve
- Grease a large loaf pan (14cm x 24cm). Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Transfer to a medium jug. Cool. Reserve 2 tblsps butter.
- Sift flour and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in sugar and coconut.
- Add eggs and golden syrup to remaining butter in jug. Whisk until combined. Add to flour mixture with banana and pineapple. Mix well. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- Combine oats and reserved butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the loaf.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 45 minutes. Cover lightly with foil to prevent over-browning. Cook for a further 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Remove. Stand loaf in pan for 30 minutes. Lift out onto a rack to cool.
- Serve loaf warm or cold, cut into slices with softened butter and extra golden syrup.