150 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
⅓ cup buttermilk
400 g canned sliced pie fruit apples
1 tsp ground cinnamon
⅓ cup plain flour
⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
⅓ cup slivered almonds
50 g unsalted butter, melted
- Grease a 14cm x 24cm large loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 10cm above pan edges.
- To make almond crumble, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until mixture resembles large crumbs.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Mixture will look curdled at this stage. Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in sifted flour and buttermilk in two batches.
- Combine apples and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Spoon half the cake mixture into prepared pan. Spread over half the apples. Repeat layering with remaining cake mixture and apples. Sprinkle crumble over apples. Press down lightly.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve.