1 large Granny Smith apple (200 g)
1 cup self-raising flour
¾ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
⅓ cup rolled oats
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup buttermilk
⅓ cup tick-approved salt-reduced margarine, melted, cooled
Extra 1 tbsp rolled oats
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Peel and coarsely grate apple, you will need 1 cup.
- Sift flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Return husks to bowl. Stir in oats and sugar. Gently stir in frozen blueberries and apple.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk and margarine in a jug until combined. Stir into flour mixture until just combined. (Don’t over-mix). Spoon about 1/3-cup batter into each case. Sprinkle with extra oats.
- Cook in moderately hot oven (190C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.