Cooking oil spray
1 cup caster sugar
150 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
150 g slightly salted butter, melted
175 g self-raising flour
3 tsp ground ginger
2 cored, thinly sliced red apples
1 tbsp caster sugar extra
1 tub vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 24cm springform tin with cooking oil spray and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Put 2 eggs and 1 cup caster sugar in a large bowl and whisk until frothy. Set aside. Put 150ml milk, 1 tsp vanilla bean paste and 150g melted slightly salted butter in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Gradually whisk butter mixture into egg mixture.
- Fold in 175g self-raising flour and 3 tsp ground ginger until combined.
- Arrange 2 cored, thinly sliced red apples in base of prepared tin.
- Pour over batter, then top with an extra 2 cored, thinly sliced red apples and an extra 1 tbsp caster sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in tin for 15 minutes. Serve with scoops of vanilla ice-cream.