115 g plain flour, plus 2 tsp extra
80 g wholemeal plain flour
2 tsp caster sugar
60 g light margarine
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp cold water
2 Tbsp honey
1 sprig thyme, plus 2 tsp thyme leaves
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups thinly sliced unpeeled red apples
1 free-range egg white, lightly whisked
1 tsp demerara sugar
2 Tbsp pomegranate seeds or chopped dried cranberries, to serve
- Put flours, sugar, margarine and oil in a small food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well combined. Add the water, 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing, until the mixture starts to come together to form a ball. Press into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, combine the honey and thyme in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high/ 100% for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool. Remove and discard the thyme leaves.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced). Combine the infused honey, lemon juice and 2 tsp of extra plain flour in a medium bowl. Add the apples and toss to coat.
- Roll the pastry out on a piece of lightly floured baking paper to form a 30cm circle. Slide the paper and pastry onto a large baking tray. Mound the apple mixture in the centre of the pastry, leaving the outer 5cm uncovered. Fold the uncovered pastry over the filling, pleating as needed. Lightly brush pastry with egg white and sprinkle with demerara sugar, if using.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and extra thyme leaves. Cut into 10 wedges, to serve.