1.8 kg boneless pork shoulder, rind on, rolled and tied
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 spring onion bulbs, trimmed, halved lengthways
1 bunch Dutch carrots, peeled
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
600 ml alcoholic apple cider
250 ml chicken stock
4 sage leaves
400 g Desiree potatoes unpeeled and diced into 2cm pieces
2 red apples, cored and cut into wedges
4 servings steamed green beans to serve
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat ½ of the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat and cook pork, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan. Add onion, carrot, garlic and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add cider and stock to pan. Scatter in sage, potato and apple and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Sit pork on top and cook, covered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for a further 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Serve sliced pork with vegetables and steamed green beans on the side.