1¾ cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
⅓ cup almond meal
½ cup caster sugar
125 g butter, chopped
½ cup canned sliced pie fruit apples, chopped
½ tsp cinnamon
Icing sugar mixture, to dust
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add almond meal and caster sugar and stir to combine.
- Add butter.
- Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg and stir until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Combine apple and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick.
- Using 5cm and 4cm fluted biscuit cutters, cut 24 rounds of each size.
- Put 4cm rounds on prepared trays. Spoon ½ tsp of the apple mixture into centres.
- Cover filling with 5cm rounds, gently pressing edges together.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar and serve.