6 small Granny Smith apples (840 g)
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tbsp orange juice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
⅔ cup sultanas
Thick vanilla custard, to serve
½ cup plain flour
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
50 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
¼ cup rolled oats
2 tbsp shredded coconut
2 tbsp slivered almonds
- Peel and core apples. Slice thickly. Place in a large saucepan with sugar, juice and cinnamon over a medium heat. Cook, stirring, for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until apples are just tender. Stir in sultanas.
- Divide evenly among four ovenproof dishes (1¼-cup capacity). Place on an oven tray.
- To make crumble, combine flour and sugar in a large bowl. Rub in butter to form coarse crumbs. Stir in oats, coconut and almonds. Sprinkle evenly over fruit.
- Cook in moderate oven (180C) for about 35 minutes, or until topping is golden and crisp.
- Serve hot crumbles with vanilla custard.