125 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 eggs, room temperature
¾ cup buttermilk
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup plain flour
820 g apricot halves in juice, canned, drained
thick vanilla custard, to serve
75 g cold, unsalted butter, chopped
⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup plain flour
½ cup rolled oats
- Invert base of a 22cm round springform pan. Grease and line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edge
- To make crumble, combine butter, sugar and flour in a food processor. Pulse to form coarse crumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in oats.
- To make cake, beat butter, sugars and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk and combined sifted flours, in two batches, stirring until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- Arrange apricots, cut-side down, over top. Sprinkle evenly with crumble.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Remove. Stand in pan 20 minutes. Remove side of pan. Transfer cake to a serving plate.
- Serve warm cake with custard.