250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature plus extra for greasing
1¼ cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3 eggs, at room temperature
¼ cup golden syrup
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1½ cups finely chopped glace apricots (350 g)
1 cup icing sugar mixture
1 tablespoon milk
- Grease a deep 22cm kugelhopf pan with butter.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Beat in syrup. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add combined sifted flour, soda and spices and apricots. Stir until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 1 hour, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make icing, combine icing sugar and milk in a medium bowl. Stir until smooth. Spoon over cake. Stand until set.