Olive oil cooking spray, to grease
½ cup water
1½ cups caster sugar
1 drop liquid orange food colouring
300 ml thickened cream
300 ml sour cream
½ cup pistachios, roughly chopped plus extra to serve
2 tsp orange blossom water
6 apricots, halved, stones removed
¼ cup demerara sugar
- Grease a 20 x 10cm (6-cup capacity) loaf tin with olive oil spray and line with plastic wrap. Put water and 1 cup of the caster sugar in a small heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and syrupy without colouring.
- Put eggwhites and remaining sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high until thick and glossy. With motor running on medium, slowly add syrup in a steady stream, beating until well combined. Add food colouring, 1 drop at a time, beating until well combined and desired colour.
- Put thickened cream in a small bowl and beat, using an electric hand mixer, until soft peaks form. Gently fold in sour cream until well combined.
- Add cream mixture, pistachio and orange blossom water to meringue mixture. Stir with a large metal spoon until well combined, then spoon into prepared tin. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Put apricot halves on prepared tray, cut-side up, and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Roast for 15 minutes or until apricot is softened and juice begins to seep from fruit. Cool. 6 Invert semifreddo onto a serving platter. Top with roasted apricot, then sprinkle over extra chopped pistachio. Serve.