‘She [David's partner] told the doctor and the doctor said 'that could have been it'," Hannah told the Sydney Morning Herald.
‘But there has been no evidence that he actually ate it because there was: “Oh yeah I saw him eat it.” And then: “No, I didn’t see him eat it.”
‘It was a dare, so he might have intended to eat it and then thrown it away.
‘At the end of the day, we don’t know whether he actually ate the gecko. David never mentioned it.’
University of Queensland school of agriculture and food sciences deputy head Mark Turner told The Sydney Morning Herald that eating a gecko could be dangerous.
‘It’s possible that if the gecko was eaten, as it was being digested, the salmonella was released, but I have never heard of anything like this before,’ he told the newspaper.
David’s family say he died in ‘absolute agony’ just 11 days after attending the Christmas party, saying he’d ‘basically rotted from the inside out.’
Says Hannah: ‘He was one of a kind ... just a great person and the kids have lost one of the best dads ever.’
DON'T FORGET TO CATCH NEW IDEA FOOD'S VERY FIRST PODCAST - TROLLEY WATCH! CLICK HERE TO LISTEN!