‘I put my hand right in and I was even eating them. I probably touched it.
‘I have plenty of spiders in my garden but not in my food! I was pretty shocked.’
The grandmother went on to tell Yahoo that the bag of grapes were sealed, stressing that she doesn’t believe it was ALDI’s fault that there was a deadly spider in the packet.
The store in question gave Yolande a bag of new ‘spider-free’ grapes, sealing and removing the old packet for further investigation.
Now the shopper says she wants to use her scary experience to warn others to watch out for creepy crawlies in their produce.
‘I just want people to check the fruit as they’re unpacking it,’ she told Yahoo News.
‘I could have been bitten.. I was just lucky.
‘It could have been by grandchildren who I asked to empty the bag.’
The red back super is highly venomous and can be fatal, especially to the young and elderly. An effective anti-venom was developed in 1956, and about 250 people receive the anti-venom each year.