An Adelaide mum has revealed her shock after discovering what appear to be maggots in a store-bought BBQ chook - AFTER she fed it to her children.
Adele Kate says she had bought the BBQ chicken from a local Woolworths in Morphett Vale on Sunday.
It was only after the mum sliced some of the chicken off for her children and they ate it, that she returned to the BBQ chook and noticed something crawling inside the meat.
Posting a video of what appear to be maggots wriggling through the chicken to Facebook, Adele wrote: 'I fed my children this before I found the centre.'
GRAPHIC PHOTO: The mum shared a video to Facebook revealing what appear to be maggots inside the chicken meat.
Facebook users were quick to react, expressing their own horror at the sight.
‘That is absolutely disgusting!!! You poor thing! Fairly sure this has put me off meat for life,’ one woman wrote.
Another wrote: ‘Omg no way, gross… I’m traumatised.’
A Woolworths spokesperson told Yahoo7 News they were investigating the Adelaide mum’s claims, saying they take food safety seriously.
‘We follow rigorous food preparation and safety standards across all of our stores,’ the spokesperson said.
‘We’re currently in touch with the customer and will be looking into the claim.’
Amy SinclairAmy Sinclair is the editor of New Idea Food. She is a former weekly magazine editor who loves all things food, cooking and eating - especially the eating! When she's not looking after her three children, you'll find her in the kitchen or busily hiding online shopping purchases from her husband.