‘What an awesome family effort this afternoon in Point Cook,’ the Neighbourhood Watch post says. ‘Their children spotted the fire, the family called triple 000 and their husband jumped the fence to help keep the fire under control until helped arrived.
‘The CFA arrived quickly. The fire had caught on the decking and the rear houses garden. Believed to be started by an outdoor solar light. With today’s high temperatures and high winds time was of the essence. Great work.’
The artificial leaf screen in question is believed to have been part of ALDI’s recent Special Buys, costing $49 per screen. Other ALDI mums were quick to respond to Silvana’s post, voicing their concern over the product.
‘That’s so scary, I’m glad you’re all okay,’ wrote one. Said another: ‘Hope everyone was safe and hopefully Aldi do a recall of these.’
Said a third: ‘Thank you for sharing and I’m glad you and your family are ok. I bought a few of these but will be removing the batteries altering seeing this. Thank God you were home!’
It’s suggested that anyone who’s bought the product and has concerns should contact their local ALDI store.