An autopsy showed that AJ’s illness was caused by a bacteria called bacillus cereus - a spore forming bacteria that can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
When the National Reference Laboratory for Food-borne Outbreaks tested the pasta and tomato sauce that AJ consumed, they found that the toxins from the bacteria were so high that they caused his liver to fail which caused his death.
But in a strange twist, it was revealed that the deathly bacteria was only found in the pasta - not the sauce - defying many people’s belief that cooked pasta cannot spoil easily.
The shocking death has prompted authorities to remind people of the dangers of refrigerating food and consuming leftovers within a couple of days.
'Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they're fine,' said leading practitioner Dr Bernard. 'But be careful of food left out for more than a few hours. If the food smells funny, it's always better to be safe than sorry.'
The case, which has been featured in the US Journal of Clinical Microbiology, has intrigued people around the world.
'That was kinda dumb but not really something you expect to kill you a day later,' said one commentator. Added another: 'I don't know why anyone would leave perishable food in the kitchen for 5 days and think it's okay to still eat it.’