170 g (¾ cup) sushi rice
310 ml (1 ¼ cups) water
185 g Sirena canned tuna in springwater, drained, flaked
2 tbsp 97% fat-free mayonnaise or gluten-free mayonnaise
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
60 ml (¼ cup) rice vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 nori sheets (seaweed)
1 small avocado, thinly sliced
2 tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce or gluten-free soy sauce, to serve
4 cups Asian mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Put rice in a fine sieve and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear. Put rice and water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 12 minutes or until water is nearly absorbed. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put tuna, mayo and lemon juice in a small bowl, mixing well to combine.
- Transfer rice to a shallow dish. Whisk rice vinegar and sugar in a small jug. Using a fork, carefully stir sweetened vinegar through rice. Set aside for 20 minutes to cool.
- Lay 1 sheet of nori, shiny side up, on a piece of baking paper. Spread half the rice on top. Top rice with tuna mixture, followed by avocado slices. Top with remaining rice, spreading out evenly over filling. Sandwich with remaining nori sheet. Top with another piece of baking paper, then press down with a baking tray. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Cut sushi into 8 even rectangles. Serve with soy sauce and Asian salad mix on the side.