125 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
⅓ cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup plain flour
½ cup self-raising flour
⅓ cup creamy vanilla frosting
liquid yellow food colouring, to tint
chocolate and caramel writing icing pen, to decorate
brown and orange mini-sized candy-coated chocolate pieces
- Grease and line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg. Beat until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in combined sifted flours until combined.
- Roll tablespoons of mixture into 14 large balls. Roll ½ tbsp of the remaining mixture into 14 small balls. Place one large ball and one small ball touching on prepared tray to represent the chick’s body and head. Repeat with remaining balls, placing chicks 4cm apart, on trays.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C), swapping trays halfway through, for about 15 minutes, or until edges are pale golden. Stand on trays for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- To decorate, tint frosting yellow with colouring. Spread 2 heaped tsp of frosting over each biscuit. Decorate with brown choc minis for eyes and orange choc minis for beaks. Pipe feet using writing icing.