410 g packet vanilla cupcake mix
jelly beans (9 orange and 3 red)
icing sugar mixture
black writing icing, to decorate
250 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups icing sugar mixture
yellow food colouring paste, to tint
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (¹⁄³ -cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Prepare cake mix according to packet directions, reserving icing sachet. Divide evenly among the paper cases.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pan 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Cut orange jelly beans into quarters. Cut red jelly beans lengthways into thin strips.
- To make frosting, beat butter and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in combined sugar and reserved icing sachet, ½ cup at a time, until well combined. Tint yellow. Spoon into to a large, disposable piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain nozzle.
- Dust cupcakes with icing sugar mixture. Use frosting to pipe a 4cm circle, then a 2cm circle on top of cupcakes. Decorate using writing icing for eyes, orange jelly beans for beaks and feet and red strips for combs