vegetable oil, for shallow frying
4 middle bacon rashers, rindless
2 Tbsp tomato relish
baby rocket, to serve
500 g Desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
½ cup finely grated Parmesan
¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
- To make hash browns, place potatoes in a large, rectangular, microwave-safe dish with 2 tblsps water. Cover. Microwave on high (100 per cent), stirring halfway through, for about 8 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cool slightly. Add parmesan and cayenne pepper. Using a fork, coarsely mash potatoes. Season.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Place a greased 7.5cm egg ring on tray. Spoon ¼ cup of potato mixture into ring. Flatten firmly with a spatula. Remove ring. Repeat with remaining potato mixture to make eight hash browns in total. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add hash browns in two batches. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper. Keep warm in a slow oven (150C). Drain oil from pan. Wipe clean. Return pan to a medium heat.
- Place four x 7.5cm greased egg rings into pan. Break an egg into each ring. Cover with lid. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove rings. Carefully turn eggs. Cook, uncovered, for a further 1 minute, or until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add bacon. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until crisp
- Top half the hash browns with bacon, egg, relish and rocket. Top with remaining hash browns.