50 g butter, chopped
200 g shortcut bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 large Granny Smith apple
300 g Afghan garlic bread
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp chopped dried parsley
1 Tbsp dried mixed herbs
salt and pepper, to taste
roasted chicken thighs to serve
pumpkin cut into wedges, to serve
- Grease a 20cm ring pan.
- Melt butter in a large, nonstick frying pan over a medium to high heat, until bubbling. Add bacon, onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Peel and core apple. Cut into 1cm pieces. Tear bread into 2cm pieces
- Add apple and bread to bacon mixture with eggs, parsley and dried herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Spoon into prepared pan, pressing down firmly.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for about 30 minutes, or until top is golden and crisp. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Serve with roasted chicken and pumpkin wedges.