These small treats are baked not fried. Although we can guarantee they're sensational with jam, you can fill them with any gooey favourite - perhaps Nutella?
cooking oil spray
2 cups self-raising flour
⅔ cup caster sugar
¾ cup buttermilk
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
½ cup raspberry jam
¾ cup caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup water
- Generously spray three 12-hole mini muffin pans (1-tbsp capacity) with oil.
- Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla in a medium jug. Add to flour mixture. Stir until combined. Divide evenly among pan holes (about 1 tbsp in each).
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked. Stand in pans for 5 minutes. Remove.
- Meanwhile, make cinnamon sugar by combining both ingredients in a shallow dish.
- To make syrup, stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil for about 8 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Transfer to a heatproof jug.
- Place jam in a piping bag fifitted with a ½ cm plain nozzle. Press piping nozzle into base of each doughnut. Pipe a small amount of jam into each one.
- Working with one doughnut at a time, use a fork to dip four warm doughnuts into warm syrup. Transfer to cinnamon sugar. Shake to coat. Repeat with remaining doughnuts, syrup and cinnamon sugar.
- Serve doughnuts warm.