250 g packet digestive biscuits
150 g unsalted butter, melted
3 x 250 g blocks cream cheese, chopped, softened
¾ cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
250 g sour cream
Extra 2 tbsp caster sugar
300 ml double cream to serve
Candied lemon slices
1 ½ cups caster sugar
½ cup water
2 lemons thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line the base of a 22cm round springform tin with baking paper. Put biscuits in the bowl of a food processor and process until fine crumbs form.
- Transfer biscuit crumbs to a large bowl, then stir in butter.
- Spoon biscuit mixture into prepared tin and, using your hands, press to cover base and 5cm up the side of tin. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, put cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium, using paddle attachment, for 5 minutes or until mixture is smooth.
- Add egg, in 2 batches, beating well after each addition.
- Combine lemon zest and juice in a small bowl, then add to cream cheese mixture. Beat again until incorporated.
- Spoon into prepared tin over biscuit base and smooth surface. Put tin on an oven tray.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until very lightly browned on top. Remove from oven and set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 220°C. Put sour cream and extra caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium, using paddle attachment, until mixture is smooth.
- Spoon sour cream mixture on top of cooled cake and smooth surface. Bake for 5 minutes or until shiny. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from tin and transfer to a cake stand. Decorate with candied lemons and serve with double cream on the side.
- Place sugar and water in a medium saucepan over a medium heat and cook, stirring, until sugar has dissolved.
- Add lemon slices and cook for 10 minutes or until syrupy and golden.
- Remove lemon slices and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Set aside until crisp.