⅓ cup medium-grain rice (65 g)
⅓ cup caster sugar (70 g)
2 tsps finely grated orange rind
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 cup full-cream milk (750 ml)
1 cup dried apricots (180 g)
½ cup orange juice (125 ml)
¼ cup chopped unsalted pistachios (35 g)
- Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, rind and essence in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in milk. Stir in rice.
- Place four ovenproof dishes (1 1/2-cup capacity) in a large, deep roasting pan. Divide rice mixture evenly among dishes. Pour enough boiling water into pan to come half way up sides of dishes.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes or until custard is just set. Remove from roasting pan. Cool until warm.
- Meanwhile, place apricots and juice in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes or until apricots are plump.
- Serve warm rice custard warm, topped with warm apricots and pistachios.