4 Williams pears, peeled
1 cup water
½ cup caster sugar
250 g punnet strawberries, hulled, halved
1 vanilla bean
¾ cup medium-grain rice
⅓ cup caster sugar
3½ cups milk
2 cups water
25 g unsalted butter, at room temperature, chopped
- Cut pears into quarters. Remove and discard cores. Cut each quarter in half. Place in a large roasting pan with water and sugar.
- Cook in moderate oven (180C), stirring halfway through, for about 45 minutes, or until pears are tender. Stir in strawberries. Stand, covered, until ready to serve.
- To make rice pudding, use a small, sharp knife to split bean in half lengthways. Scrape out seeds. Reserve bean for another use (see tips). Place seeds in a large, greased, ovenproof dish (12-cup capacity). Add rice, sugar, milk and water. Stir to combine. Cover tightly with greased foil.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 20 minutes. Stir with a fork to separate rice. Cover again with foil. Cook for a further 40 minutes. Remove and discard foil. Stir to separate rice. Top with butter.
- Cook, uncovered, for a further 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and most of the liquid is absorbed. Do not stir. Remove from oven. Stand for 15 minutes.
- Serve pudding topped with pears and strawberries.