Banana cake just got even better with lashings of thick, fluffy frosting! You won't believe how yummy this tastes, especially with a cup of coffee…
125 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup mashed banana
½ cup buttermilk
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
150 g cream cheese, chopped, room temperature
50 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar mixture
- Grease a 24cm round x 9cm deep baba pan.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add banana, buttermilk and combined sifted flour and soda. Stir until well combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy. Spread over top of cake.