1 cup plain flour
1 cup self-raising flour
1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
125 g cold unsalted butter, finely chopped
½ cup milk
1 cup mashed banana
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
icing sugar mixture, to decorate
Thick cream or vanilla yoghurt, to serve
- Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edge.
- Sift combined flours into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Rub in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press 2 cups of mixture evenly over base of prepared pan using back of a spoon.
- Add milk, banana, egg and soda to remaining mixture. Stir until well combined. Spoon over base. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked when tested. Stand for 30 minutes. Using paper, lift slice out of pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar. Cut into rectangles. Serve with cream or yoghurt.