375 g spaghetti
¼ cup olive oil
1 kg Australian premium beef mince
2 onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
250 g cup mushrooms, finely chopped
2 Tbsp fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, crushed
⅓ cup tomato paste
6 drained anchovy fillets, chopped
1 cup dry red wine
3 x 400 g cans canned crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
- To make bolognese sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a stockpot over a high heat. Add beef in two batches. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes, or until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add remaining oil to stockpot with onions, carrots, mushrooms, thyme and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until soft. Add paste and anchovies. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add wine. Bring to boil. Gently boil until reduced by half.
- Return beef to pot with tomatoes. Return to boil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with lid. Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain.
- Serve half the bolognese sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan. Reserve remaining bolognese sauce for another recipe.