1.5 kg butterflied leg of lamb, trimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
Flatbread, to serve
Hummus, to serve
Lemon wedges, to serve
Wild rocket leaves, to serve
⅓ cup sesame seeds
⅓ cup finely chopped, fresh oregano
¼ cup finely chopped, fresh thyme
1 tbsp ground sumac
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp sea salt
Cracked black pepper, to taste
- To make zaatar, place sesame seeds in a small frying pan. Stir over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a bowl. Cool. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- If lamb is uneven in thickness, gently beat lamb between two double sheets of plastic wrap with a meat mallet or rolling pin until even. Place in a large shallow dish. Combine oil and half the zaatar in a small bowl. Rub evenly over both sides of lamb. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight to marinate. Remove lamb from fridge 20 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a large, oiled grill plate or barbecue hot plate over a medium heat. Add lamb. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until browned. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover lamb loosely with foil. Cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Remove. Rest, loosely covered with foil for 10 minutes. Thickly slice.
- Sprinkle remaining zaatar over lamb. Serve with flatbread, hummus, lemon wedges and rocket leaves.