320 g (2 cups) wholemeal self-raising flour
150 g (1 cup) self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
50 g light margarine
1 tbsp caster sugar
250 ml (1 cup) skim milk, plus extra for brushing
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Put flours in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub margarine into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar. Add milk, and using a flat-bladed knife, stir until the mixture starts to come together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until dough just comes together (don’t knead too much as scones will be tough). Press or roll out dough to 2cm thick.
- Using a 5cm cutter, cut out 18 shapes from dough, re-rolling when necessary. Arrange on prepared tray.
- Brush tops of scones with extra milk and sprinkle with extra flour. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until scones are golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm or at room temperature.