1 kg white fondant icing (see tips)
1 package black food colouring paste (see tips)
3 x 440 g packet golden butter cake mix, with icing sachets
1 box cake mix, with ingredients needed to prepare
453 g tub creamy vanilla frosting
100 g red fondant icing
1 container royal icing mix tinted red
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Line a 5-cup capacity pudding basin and 2 x 20cm round deep cake pans with baking paper. Prepare cakes as directed. Divide the mixture evenly between pans.
- Bake bowl cake 30-35 min and round cakes 40-45 min. Turn onto wire racks to cool. Once cool, trim round cakes so they have a flat surface.
- Sandwich round cakes together using a little vanilla frosting, place on a 30cm round cake board. Frost top and sides of cake, leaving about ¼ tub for rest of cake.
- On a bench dusted with icing sugar, roll two-thirds of black fondant into a circle 38cm and 3mm thick. To keep the round shape, place a cake pan in the middle and cut a scalloped edge with a 5cm round cutter. Transfer to the cake, using a rolling pin for support. Smooth fondant over top/sides of cake.
- Cut away a little of the dome cake to make a more pointed shape. Spread with frosting and cover with fondant, leaving the base plain. Reserve leftover fondant. Place dome on top of round cake. Use remaining black fondant, reserved white fondant, red fondant and red icing to decorate as shown. Chill until serving time. Insert wings and ears as shown, then serve straight away.