1.5 kg chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 5cm pieces
⅓ cup plain flour (50 g)
salt & pepper to taste
¼ cup olive oil (60 mls)
400 g middle cut bacon rashers, trimmed and chopped
2 brown onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tblsps tomato paste
10 pickling onions, peeled
2 cups dry red wine, (500 mls)
1 cup beef stock (250 mls)
500 g button mushrooms, trimmed
½ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 kg potatoes, mashed, to serve
400 g sugar snap peas, steamed, to serve
2 bunches Dutch carrots, steamed, to serve
- Place beef and flour in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add beef in four batches. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer to a 5 to 6-litre slow cooker with any excess flour.
Heat remaining oil in same frying pan. Add bacon, brown onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to cooker.
- Add pickling onions to pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned. Add wine. Bring to boil. Transfer to cooker with stock and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with lid.
- Cook on low for about 7 to 8 hours or, on high for about 4 hours, or until beef is tender. Stir through parsley.
- Serve with creamy mashed potato, peas and carrots.