1 tbsp olive oil
250 g minced beef
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
1 tbsp tomato purée
200 g red lentils
600 ml beef stock
140 g frozen peas
1.25 kg potatoes, cubed
1 large cauliflower (about 400 g), cut into florets
150 ml milk
50 g butter
100 g mature cheddar, grated
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the minced beef. Cook for 5 mins until browned all over, then add the carrot and cook for 2 mins more.
- Stir in the tomato purée and add seasoning. Cook for a few mins, then add the lentils and stock. Simmer for 20 mins, then stir in the peas.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Simmer for 15 mins, then add the cauliflower and simmer for a further 10 mins until the veg is tender.
- Drain, then return the veg to the pan for a few mins to dry out. Add the milk, butter and seasoning, and mash together. Finally, add the cheese, reserving a handful, and mix well. Cover and put aside 500g of the mash mix for a next-meal leftover slide.
- Spoon the mince into a large roasting dish, about 30 × 20cm, and spoon the mash over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until golden, about 30 mins.