2 tbsp peanut oil
1 kg chuck steak trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
1 large onion finely chopped
2 cans massaman curry paste (288g)
¼ cup desiccated coconut (20 g)
400 ml can coconut cream
270 ml can coconut milk
1 cinnamon quill
3 kaffir lime leaves
4 desiree potatoes peeled, cut into 3cm pieces (600 g)
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp palm syrup
2 tbsp lime juice
1 ½ cups jasmine rice steamed to serve
2 tbsp shelled salted and roasted peanuts chopped, to garnish
¼ bunch fresh coriander sprigs to garnish
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium to high heat. Add beef in four batches. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add paste and desiccated coconut. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Return beef to pan with half the coconut cream as well as the coconut milk, cinnamon and kaffir lime leaves. Stir well. Cover. Simmer over a very low heat for 2 hours.
- Stir in potatoes, sauce and syrup. Cover. Simmer for a further 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender and potatoes are cooked. Stir in remaining coconut cream and juice.
- Serve with steamed rice. Garnish with peanuts and coriander.