1 red capsicum, cut into 3 cm pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups elbow pasta
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup finely grated parmesan
500 g jar tomato pasta sauce with roasted garlic and onion
Rocket leaves, to serve
500 g beef mince
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup chopped pitted black olives
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly oil an ovenproof dish (14 cup-capacity).
- To make meatballs, place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. With damp hands, roll tablespoons of mixture into meatballs. (Makes about 28.) Place in prepared dish.
- Arrange capsicum around meatballs. Drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 20 minutes. Remove.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool slightly. Add eggs and half the parmesan. Mix well.
- Heat pasta sauce and spread over meatballs. Pour over pasta mixture. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Return to same hot oven (200C). Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve pasta bake with rocket leaves.