1 kg packet thick fresh rice noodles
350 g beef eye fillet trimmed
2 tblsps peanut oil (40 mls)
4 garlic cloves crushed
250 g bunch gai lan cut into 3cm lengths
3 eggs lightly beaten
2 cups bean sprouts trimmed (300 g)
¼ cup dark soy sauce (60 mls)
¼ cup kecap manis (60 mls)
2 tsps caster sugar
½ tsp ground white pepper
2 fresh long red chillies cut into 1 cm pieces
½ cup white vinegar
- Place sliced chillies and white vinegar in a small bowl and leave to soak for an hour.
- Place noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 3 minutes. Gently loosen noodles with a fork. Drain.
- Cut beef horizontally into 2cm-thick lengths. Then cut crossways into thin strips.
- Heat oil in a large wok over a high heat. Add beef in a single layer. Cook, without stirring, for 20 seconds. Add garlic. Stir-fry, separating beef and pushing up side of wok, for 2 minutes, or until browned.
- Add gai lan. Stir-fry for 1 minute, or until coloured. Push beef and gai lan up side of wok to make a well. Add eggs. Cook, without stirring, for 20 seconds. Stir-fry, breaking up eggs with beef and gai lan, for 1 minute.
- Add noodles, sprouts, sauces, sugar and pepper. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with pickled chilli.