When it comes to helping the environment the gold standard is refilling your own stainless steel or glass water bottle, where you can cut down on your bottled water consumption and when you do buy bottled water opt for glass which is the most sustainable packaging. If you’re out and about and looking for a refill download the Tap app to find your closest free refill station.
When it comes to choosing a bottle of water the options are endless, which is why we’ve rounded up the top ten water brands in Australia. So next time you’re in need of a drink you can do just that without being overwhelmed by decision fatigue.
Price: $2.10 for 1L
Balance is a delicious blend of spring water infused with six native wildflowers. They are sustainably handpicked in our Aussie backyard.
Lucy – “Balance’s subtle wildflower taste makes for the perfect refreshing beverage.”
Price: $2.70 for 750ml
Pump’s sipper bottle is perfect for those on the go. It also comes in a range of refreshing flavours like lemon, lime and mango blast.
Alex – “Pump is my go-to when I am on the run, it’s perfect for footy training.”
8. Fiji water
Price: $1.80 for 350ml
Designed for fitness and travel, FIJI water is water captured as tropical rain falls across volcanic rock, collecting natural minerals and electrolytes.
Courtenay – “As a Southern Hemisphere human I like the fact that the water is from one of the most beautiful places in the world. Also it fits perfectly in my gym bag without rolling around.”
Price: $5.09 for 1L
With their iconic minimalist design, NZ brand Antipodes has made waves in the Australian market. With purity at their core, their mineral water is both subtle and refreshing.
Holly - “I enjoy a bottle of antipodes because it’s crisp and fizzy.”
6. JUST Water
Price: $1.50 for 500ml
JUST Water is the new kid on the block, launching in early 2019 they are the brainchild of Jaden Smith. It's made from 54% paper and 28% plant-based plastic, totalling 82% renewable content.
Nicole – “JUST is an easy and sustainable choice for me.”
5. San Pellegrino
Price: $3.15 for 750ml
One of the oldest and most famous brands, San Pellegrino comes all the way from Italy. Their Sparkling Natural Mineral Water has a distinct taste as it has collected minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium on its way downstream.
Ellie - “I’ve grown up drinking San Pellegrino, and I can’t go past the fact that it’s in a glass bottle.”
4. Thankyou Water
Price: $2.10 for 1.5L
Thankyou is a social enterprise where 100% of the proceeds go to helping life-changing projects. By choosing this bottle you’re helping to provide safe water to someone in need.
Bella - “I always drink thank you because it is rewarding to know that I am helping someone in need.”
Price: $3.10 for 375ml
Voss Spring Water hits Australian shores all the way from Norway. Known best for its slim design, it is available in both still and lightly sparkling.
Ashley - "Voss, slim bottle design fits well in my handbag."
2. Mount Franklin
Price: $2.15 for 600ml
Mount Franklin is purely Australian, derived from Australian spring water it’s clear, crisp taste is something all Australians know too well.
Lucinda – “I am a big water drinker, which is why I love Mount Franklin’s large bottles.”
1. Santa Vittoria
Price: $1.70 for 750ml
Take a drive into the Amalfi Coast without travelling the distance, Santa Vittoria takes you there. It is one of Australia’s favourite lightly sparkling offerings and has extremely low sodium content.
Eliza – “Santa Vittoria is crisp and fresh and not too bubbly.”
Some concerning statistics around bottled water was brought to light in 2018 when the State University of New York in Fredonia tested more than 250 bottles for microplastics. The study found that 93% of all bottles tested contained some sort of microplastic. The researchers also said there was a global average of 10.4 plastic particles per litre.