Naming The Big Mac
Did you know that The Big Mac was actually first called ‘The Aristocrat’? It was introduced in 1967 in Pittsburgh before expanding to every corner of the globe. After customers had difficulty pronouncing The Aristocrat, the burger was titled The Blue Ribbon Burger. The name didn’t resonate with the brand so they decided to name it the Big Mac, hitting the stands for just 47 cents.
Admittedly the ingredients do differ oh so slightly from each country but the most important element remains the same: the ‘big mac sauce.’
What to expect on an Aussie Big Mac
On the infamous Big Mac, you’ll get two all-beef patties, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a toasted sesame seed bun. Plus don’t forget McDonald's Big Mac sauce, which is a classic twist on Thousand Island dressing.
How to make Big Mac Sauce
Before you head out and buy your own special sauce here’s how you can make your own from home for a fraction of the cost and a portion of the time.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp gherkin relish
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine mayonnaise and vinegar.
- Add paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder and white pepper and mix well.
- Stir through sugar and salt.
- Lastly, add gherkin relish and crushed mustard seeds and sit until well combined.
Makes 3/4 of a cup (if we were you we’d make double!). Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 months.
How to make Big Mac sauce in the Thermomix
- To make McDonald's special sauce in your Thermomix, throw all of the ingredients (above) into the bowl and mix on setting 5 for 10 seconds. Ta-dah!
How to make vegan Big Mac sauce
Don’t miss out on all of the fun and simply swap out mayonnaise for your favourite vegan mayo alternative.
So what are you waiting for? Get working on your very own Big Mac sauce!
OR WHY NOT TRY SOME DIY KFC? YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN POPCORN CHICKEN - SEE HOW HERE!