3 cups self-raising flour, plus a little for dusting
2 tbsp caster sugar
4 black tea bags
100 g unsalted butter, coarsely grated
250 ml milk
raspberry jam, to serve
double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan‑forced (220°C conventional). Put flour and sugar in a large bowl. Snip tops off tea bags and empty tea leaves into bowl. Discard bags. Mix well until combined.
- Add grated butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture.
- Rub until butter is incorporated and mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in centre and add milk.
- Use a butter knife to cut into mixture until dough comes together. (Do not overwork.)
- Lightly dust an oven tray with a little of the extra flour. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for about 30 seconds or until a smooth dough forms. Use your palm to press dough into an even, flat 1.5cm-thick oval.
- Using a 5cm round cookie or scone cutter, cut 12 rounds without re-rolling. Do not discard offcuts (see tip, below). Put rounds on prepared tray in 4 rows of 3, 5mm apart.
- Dust tops with extra flour. Bake for 12 minutes or until light golden. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm with jam and cream.