1 cup pecans
1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self-raising flour
3 tsp ground ginger
125 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
300 ml tub light sour cream
1 egg, at room temperature
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125 g punnet fresh blueberries
300 ml tub thickened cream
½ cup thick vanilla custard
- Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending 2cm above pan edge.
- Coarsely chop ½ cup of the pecans.
- Process remaining pecans, sugar, flours and ginger in a food processor until combined. Add butter and process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press 2 cups of mixture over base of pan with the back of a spoon.
- Add sour cream, egg and soda to remaining crumb mixture in food processor. Pour into pan. Smooth over top. Sprinkle over half the blueberries and chopped pecans.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes in pan. Invert onto a wire rack to cool.
- Beat cream in a small bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Swirl through custard.
- Serve cake with custard cream and remaining blueberries.