2 cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ cup icing sugar mixture
150 g butter, chopped chilled
⅓ cup water, chilled
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp almond meal
400 g jarred fruit mince
1 apple, peeled, coarsely grated
¾ cup flaked almonds
2 tbsp brandy
icing sugar, to dust
- Put flour, icing sugar and butter in the bowl of a food processor, processing to combine. Pulse in short bursts, adding water a little at a time, until mixture comes together and resembles breadcrumbs. Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 22cm loose-bottom fluted pie tart tin. Cut off 1/3 of the pastry, and set aside. Roll out larger portion on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick, then use to line tin, trimming 1cm above rim and folding inwards all the way around. Brush pastry with a little beaten egg.
- Roll out reserved pastry and cut into a 22cm circle to create pie lid. Using a small snow flake‑shaped cutter, cut out and remove some shapes, reserving for another use.
- Sprinkle pastry base with almond meal. Put fruit mince, apple, almonds, brandy and most of the remaining egg in a bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon to combine. Spoon mixture into pastry base and smooth down surface. Place lid on top of filling, firmly pressing down onto folded edges, trimming to fit. Brush with remaining egg.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until pastry is golden and cooked through. Remove pie from tin, allow to cool slightly, then serve dusted with icing sugar.