2½ cups dried white beans (500 g)
5 cups boiling water
⅓ cup tomato paste
¼ cup molasses
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp mild English mustard
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 large onion, peeled, chopped
200 g piece speck, rind removed, chopped
Toasted sourdough bread, to serve
Baby spinach leaves, to serve
Poached eggs, to serve
- Place beans in a large bowl. Cover with cold water. Refrigerate, covered, overnight to soak.
- Drain beans. Rinse well. Place in a large flameproof casserole dish (24-cup capacity). Cover with cold water again. Place lid on dish. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Pour boiling water into same casserole dish. Add paste, molasses, sugar, mustard, vinegar and sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Add beans, onion and speck. Stir to combine. Cover with lid.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for about 3 hours, stirring once every hour, or until beans are tender and liquid has thickened.
- Spoon hot beans over spinach on toast. Top with poached eggs.