Fling open your pantry and we’ll bet you’ll find a squeezy bottle or jar holding a few tablespoons of honey hostage. Even if the honey is cloudy or crystallised, there’s no need to throw it out just yet.
Bring your honey back to life by sitting the jar or bottle in a bowl of hot water for 20 minutes to soften, stirring occasionally. Then, add the honey to a range of sweet and savoury dishes, including a pumpkin salad, sticky chicken drumsticks, no-bake muesli bars and a boozy cool-weather cocktail.
Honey-roasted pumpkin salad
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut 800g kent pumpkin into 2cm-thick wedges.
- Combine 2 tbs melted honey and 1 tbs olive oil. Toss pumpkin wedges in honey mixture. Season, then roast on prepared tray for 25 minutes or until tender.
- To make a dressing, whisk 1 tbs melted honey, 2 tbs red wine vinegar and 2 tbs olive oil. Season.
- Place 200g baby spinach in a large bowl. Top with roasted pumpkin, 100g crumbled blue cheese or feta and ¼ cup toasted almonds or pepitas (pumpkin seeds). Drizzle with dressing, then gently toss to combine.
Photo credit: Lilechka75/ Getty Images
No-bake cranberry, oat & coconut bars
Makes 10 bars
- Line a 20cm x 20cm cake pan with baking paper, leaving a 2cm overhang.
- Combine 1 cup rolled oats, ½ cup dried cranberries, ½ cup chopped dried apricots, ½ cup almonds and ½ cup shredded coconut in a large bowl.
- Stir 1/3 cup honey, ¼ cup brown sugar and 80g butter in a small pan over medium-low heat until melted.
- Mix through oat mixture, then spread into cake pan, pressing down firmly.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours, then slice into 4cm x 10cm bars.
Photo credit: nata_vkusidey/ Getty Images
Sticky honey-soy chicken drumsticks
- Stir 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 2 tbs oyster sauce and 2 tsp minced ginger in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted.
- Add 12 chicken drumsticks and toss to coat. Marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking dish with baking paper. Spread drumsticks in dish and bake for 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Sprinkle with 2 tbs sesame seeds. Serve with steamed rice and Asian greens or sweet potato wedges.
Photo credit: bhofack2/ Getty Images
Hot toddy for autumn
- Combine 2 shots (60ml) whisky, 1 tbs lemon juice and 1 tbs honey in a heatproof glass or coffee mug.
- Add 1/2 cup (125ml) boiling water and stir until combined.
- Serve garnished with a strip of lemon rind or a cinnamon quill.
- Sweeten your tea or coffee with a teaspoon of honey instead of sugar
- Make a honey mustard dressing by shaking 1 tbs honey, 1 tbs mustard, 2 tbs apple cider vinegar and 3 tbs olive oil in a jar
- Drizzle honey over your morning bowl of porridge.
Written by Sarah Gamboni