2 ½ cups plain flour
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup water
¼ cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium onion, finely chopped
750 g button mushrooms, sliced
½ cup chopped Italian parsley
500 g grated mozzarella
250 g Danish feta, crumbled
150 g fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed
olive oil cooking spray, for frying
dukkah or zaatar, to serve (optional)
micro herbs, to serve (optional)
lemons wedges, to serve
- To make dough, sift flour into a large bowl. Add salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in oil and water. Mix until combined to a soft dough. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 8 minutes. Or if using an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix until smooth and elastic. Place in a medium floured bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour or overnight in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before rolling.
- To make filling, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, occasionally for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Transfer to a bowl and cool slightly. Stir in parsley.
- Cut dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out one at a time on a floured surface to a 30cm square, about 1mm thick. Keep lifting and turning dough when rolling to make sure it doesn’t stick and tear, keep flouring surface.
- Sprinkle one half of each square with a quarter of the mozzarella, leaving a 2cm border. Divide the mushroom mixture, feta and spinach between each square, placing on top of mozzarella. Dampen edges with wet fingers. Fold dough over to cover filling, press and roll edges over to seal.
- Wipe out frying pan with paper towel and lightly grease with cooking oil spray. Place over a medium-high heat. Use a long wide spatula to slide under gozleme. Slide into pan and cook for 5 minutes. Lift gozleme with spatula, spray pan with oil, turn gozleme over and cook the other side for 5 minutes or until golden. Repeat to make 3 more. Remove and slide onto a board. Cut into wedges. Sprinkle with dukkah and micro herbs. Squeeze with lemon wedges to serve.