1 ½ cups dry brown rice and lentil blend
1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
2 cups baby kale leaves
Juice of ½ lemon
4 wholemeal buns, split
1 tomato sliced
1 tub tzatziki
- Combine rice and lentil mix and chicken stock in a medium saucepan and set over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until rice is just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat ½ of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until just softened. Add spices and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes. Remove from heat, then stir in rice mixture and breadcrumbs. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Transfer ½ of the mixture to a large bowl. Transfer remaining mixture to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until a sticky mixture forms. Transfer to reserved rice mixture and gently fold together to combine. Using slightly damp hands, divide mixture into 4 and form each portion into a patty shape. Set aside on a plate for 10 minutes to allow a crust to form.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add patties and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until crunchy. Remove from pan and set aside to drain on paper towel.
- Put kale in same pan and cook, stirring, over a medium heat for 2 minutes or until softened, then drain well. Transfer to a large bowl, drizzle with lemon juice and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stack buns with kale, vegie patties, sliced tomato and tzatziki. Serve with zucchini chips on the side.