3 kg beef bones
2 roughly chopped sticks celery
2 large carrots
1 sliced large brown onion (with skin on)
1 dried bouquet garni
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Put bones and vegetables in a large roasting pan and spread out to a single layer. Roast for 45 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a large deep saucepan. Cover all ingredients with cold water, then add bouquet garni
- Put over a high heat and bring to the boil, continually skimming surface of mixture using a large spoon. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Set aside to cool, then strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Discard solids. Put stock in fridge overnight.
- Remove layer of fat that forms on top of stock. Discard.
- Clarify stock, if preferred. Use, or transfer to airtight containers and refrigerate or freeze.