1 tbsp peanut oil
1 kg chicken drumsticks
½ cup water
400 ml light coconut milk
⅓ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
2 tbsp kecap manis (or gluten-free alternative)
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 medium desiree potatoes (400 g), peeled, cut into 2 cm pieces
unsalted peanuts chopped, to serve
Steamed rice, to serve
Coriander sprigs, to garnish
4 whole medium dried red chillies
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium to high heat. Add chicken drumsticks. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Add paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Return drumsticks to pan. Turn to coat. Add water, milk, peanuts, kecap manis and sauce.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add potatoes. Simmer, uncovered, turning chicken occasionally, for a further 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and chicken cooked.
- Serve curry with extra chopped peanuts and steamed rice. Garnish with coriander sprigs.
- To make curry paste, soak chillies in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain. Chop and place in a food processor with remaining ingredients. Process to a smooth paste.