2 x 440 g packets chocolate cake mix
375 g bag white chocolate melts
liquid blue food colouring, to tint
2 tbsp rainbow nerds or rainbow sprinkles
¼ cup edible silver balls
1 tbsp edible glitter dust (blue)
150 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
1 tbsp milk
- Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edge.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Pour both mixes into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, or until cake is cooked when tested. Remove. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make bark, melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring, until smooth. Line a large, oiled oven tray with a 45cm sheet of baking paper. Pour over chocolate. Spread until about 5mm thick.
- Place drops of colouring onto warm chocolate. Use a skewer to swirl through. Sprinkle with coloured sprinkles or nerds, silver balls and glitter. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gradually beat in sugar until smooth. Beat in milk. Tint light blue. Add extra drops of colouring to icing. Fold once to create a marbled effect. Spread over top and side of cake.
- Break bark into large shards. Arrange on top.