300 g caster sugar
5 egg whites
3 piping bags
3 food colouring paste (colours of your choice)
1 x paintbrush
- Place sugar on a baking tray generously lined with baking paper and place into a preheated oven at 200°C.
- Cook sugar for about eight minutes, or until the edges start to melt (without letting the sugar caramelise).
- Place egg whites into a stand mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Remove sugar from oven and slowly add to egg whites, mix on high for 5 minutes until thick and smooth.
- Place piping tip into bag. Fit your bags with a 1 cm round or fluted tip, or alternatively cut a hole which is around the size of a 10c piece. Then, using the food colouring pastes, paint 4-5 stripes 3/4 of the way up the pipe bag. This will create a swirly, striped colour effect on your kisses.
- Fill piping bags with meringue and, working from a 2cm height above the tray, pipe the kisses with a push-stop-pull motion to achieve a plump, curved kiss with a slightly curled tip on top. Pipe different sizes if you wish, to create an interesting visual element on your finished product.
- Place the tray in a 100°C oven for an hour or until the kisses lift from the tray.
- Remove meringue kisses from over and allow to cool.